1:10 scale D90 an ongoing project.

Forum for general chat, jokes and off topic that doesn't belong elsewhere. Old threads in this forum may be pruned after inactivity. Thread is public and indexed by search engines.
skippyfx140
Armchair Member
4x4 Vehicle: LR3 HSE

1:10 scale D90 an ongoing project.

Post by skippyfx140 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Wasn’t sure as to where to post this but here go’s :)

There was some interest in an RC Land Rover D90 that I was building last year but I just didn’t get around to finishing it for one reason or another, plus I went off the idea of getting a D90 as I couldn’t seem to get all the info I wanted so I gave in and bought a D3 instead.

This is how the D90 looked after I first built it a couple of years ago.

I got board of it looking sort of bog standard green so I went mad with the rattle cans and it started to look like this after I cut the front grill out and moved it back slightly and modified the front of the bonnet :D

Modified the back door a little here.

Then I sort of lost interest for quite a while mostly health issues but one day I thought I would have another bash at it and here is were I am up to at the moment.

I still have quite a bit left to do, mostly wiring and a few more odds and sods to put in the roof rack, I might even add a few bits in the rear of the cab but unsure as yet!

Here is a small clip of the winch working but I have since rebuilt the electronic controller as it was rubbish, I now have more control over it and it has auto shut off when the load gets too high :)

Cheers Skippy.

Dav
Active Offroader
4x4 Vehicle: PATROL
Offroad Modifications: LOTS
Phone Number: 07932 155602

Re: 1:10 scale D90 an ongoing project.

Post by Dav » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Looking good
I went the oposite way and did a full size version of this
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... qzvODOvopE

See here

http://www.hull4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3322
BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND APPEAR A FOOL THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 pm

That looks very impressive, usually see models of the real thing but to see an rc model made into reality is a turn around
and I suspect it took some doing, its a credit to you ingenuity well done.

I am afraid I could not do anything on the large scale like that but I am happy to make an engine from scratch whether is
be a steam engine or a petrol engine, I have to have something to do, to keep me out of trouble :D
Cheers Skippy.

Dav
Active Offroader

Post by Dav » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 am

Have a wander down to Kirton this weekend and meet us all
It would be nice to put a face to a name
http://www.hull4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4829
BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND APPEAR A FOOL THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks for the invite but I am pretty well tied up most week ends for a month or so with odd jobs that have piled up,
one day I might get there as I do venture over the river from time to time mostly Immingham refinery area though :)
Cheers Skippy.

Sam
Active Offroader
4x4 Vehicle: Jeep Cherokee
Other 4x4 vehicles: Vitara
Phone Number: 666

Post by Sam » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:24 pm

That's a really good model Skippy, looks much better now than the standard version, well done :)

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks Sam :)

Got other parts ready but need to tidy them up a little before I paint them, then I need to see where to put them in the roof rack, also I need to find some lolly pop sticks to make some small wooded boxes as the gremlins seem to have hidden mine :D
Cheers Skippy.

Dav
Active Offroader

Post by Dav » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:50 pm

They will be with ALL my tape measures I bet

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 am

Dav wrote:They will be with ALL my tape measures I bet
Are I have the same trouble lol also when I look for a certain tool in the workshop I can't find it, so I go and buy another and when I get back to the
bench there is the old one, I think I must be loosing it at times :D.
Cheers Skippy.

Martin Spamer
4x4 Vehicle: Land Rover Discovery
Offroad Modifications: 50mm Britpart Lift Snorkel Apache 12000lb winch Tarantula custom bumper and rock sliders extended axle breathers and sump plugs Tarantula custom high level light bar CB radio modular steel rims with 235 85R16 Malatesta Kougar tyres.
Phone Number: 07767 838 137

Post by Martin Spamer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Nice, how did you manage the winch?

On the early pics I was thinking that would be really cool with a winch!!!
Martin Spamer
07767 838 137
Martin.Spamer@gmail.com

An optimist sees a glass as half full, a pessimist sees a glass as half empty, an engineer sees a glass that wasn't measured twice.

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:09 pm

you can buy the winches cheap enough Martin but they don't all come with a controller, I just modified the controller that I
had from one of my old boat projects, I added a current sensor so if it starts to draw a pre-set amount it trips the winch
out, so if the winch cable is full out and I am re aligning the cable I just set it of running and when it is wound in and feels
there is too much load it stops. Also the winch is fully controllable by the radio gear I use as well, flat out it isn't too fast
but on slow setting it is so slow you have a job to see if it is doing anything.

How ever there is one draw back though :( I don't think the winch has enough grunt to pull the model as its bloody heavy,
when your Keith saw it a while back it was more or less just a rolling chassis and didn't weigh too much but it seem to
have gained a few pounds like me :) I reckon it will be getting on 10 to 11 lbs in total weight, possible more by the time
its finished.

Right dinner time for me as I am wasting away :D
Cheers Skippy.

Dav
Active Offroader

Post by Dav » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Looks like the same one my lad has on his 1/10 scale truck and that has a 1kg pull

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 pm

No idea what the pull is on it Dav, I know it struggles to pull the D90 on a solid surface as all 3 diffs are locked an it will try to put
the motor in reverse if your not careful as the esc has auto drag breaks, now that is funny to watch if the 90 is running flat out at
a massive 4 mph and you let go of the stick it will near as dam it stand on its nose :D

Your lad is into rc trucks then is he? I still have a few of those gathering dust, one is a Tamiya Scania R620 with lights, sound and of
course the roof beacons but none of the electrics are standard Tamiya issue :) the other is a half bread sort of, its 6x6 with locked
diffs all round, 3 speed box with a clutch, I will find some pics if any of you are interested :)

Here is a youtube vid that my mate did on his dodgy phone one night after a beer or several and much stuffing of our faces with
pizza :D so the quality is a little bit rough.

Cheers Skippy.

skippyfx140
Armchair Member

Post by skippyfx140 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:55 pm

A slight update on the D90 project, shock horror its about 98% complete now :)

I made some recovery ropes to loop around the bumper with a full working shackle through the looped ends then draped over the winch hook.

I have had difficulty with the ignition key if you hadn’t noticed it’s a tad too big :D

Various bits of stowage on the roof rack but I still need to make a small wooden box of some sort to hide some small button batteries in, there are two sets of sand ladders on the roof rack but I used one set as floor board type things to stand things on :)

If you look in te rear window you will see a toolbox, sadly no spanners in it though :(

You will see that the bumper is already for the towing hitch plate when I get chance to make one :)
Cheers Skippy.